Should People Perform Contemporary Christian Music?
1) The Bible draws a clear distinction between secular songs/music and spiritual songs/music, Ephesians 5:18-21; Colossians 3:16-17 (these passages emphasize the spiritual aspect of these songs)
2) God designed spiritual songs/music to be sung in A) a congregational setting, teaching and admonishing fellow brothers and sisters in Christ AND singing "to the Lord" (same passages) as well as B) in a private setting, when one is cheerful (this would be self-edification and praise to the Lord as well), James 5:13. Such singing is part of worship to God (whether it be as a church, 1 Corinthians 14:23, 26 or as an individual)
3) God designed spiritual songs/music to be sung period (in other words, He did not authorize clapping AND singing, playing AND singing, entertaining a crowd AND singing, etc., whether as a church or as an individual)
4) Worship is to be done to/for God in spirit (right attitude/heart) and truth (genuinely/with the right, authorized actions from the New Testament), John 4:23-24; Hebrews 12:28. The very nature of performing spiritual songs is entertainment and therefore would be considered vain worship because it's primary nature is entertainment of a crowd and NOT praise to God (especially in light of the fact that Jesus did not authorize such), Matthew 15:8-9
5) All things must be done as Jesus authorizes, Matthew 28:18; Colossians 3:17. Therefore, where is the New Testament passage that authorizes spiritual songs (designed to edify the Christian and praise God) to be used as entertainment? To make a profit off of? To gain fans and be praised? To use as a primary ministry and means of evangelism (in essence, to be a substitute for "preaching", Mark 16:15; Matthew 28:19-20)?
6) Since the New Testament does not authorize the use of spiritual songs as a form of entertainment (remember, spiritual songs are not designed exclusively for edification, but also for PRAISE TO GOD), Christians must abstain from any form of vain worship or unauthorized practice, regardless of their God-given talents or their thoughts and feelings (Proverbs 14:12; Isaiah 55:8-9; etc.).
This material is copyrighted by The Gospel of Christ and its authors. This information is free to use in its entirety without further consent, however, modifications should not be made without contacting firstname.lastname@example.org for permission. Any and all images contained herein are believed to be free for all distribution and content.